Castle Rock’s and Castle Pines’ fireworks displays aren’t happening. But they both might happen later this year if conditions improve, officials say.
Castle Pines Mayor Jeffrey Huff on June 25 said the decision had been made to cancel the July 6 event, but he said it’s possible the fireworks display might be rescheduled to coincide with the city’s 2013 Oktoberfest.
Castle Rock’s event, which had been planned for July 4 in the Metzler Ranch Community Park, could happen in November in conjunction with its annual Starlighting event, according to a news release.
Castle Rock Fire Chief Art Morales recommended Stage 2 fire restrictions and canceling the fireworks because of several factors: the high fire danger levels; the occurrence this year of record-setting fires in the state; and current hot and dry weather, which is forecast to continue past July 4.
“We place a high value on the safety of our community,” Morales said. “This fire season is historic, and conditions continue to worsen. We must do everything we can as a town and community to reduce the possibility of wildfire. Fire restrictions, and cancellation of the fireworks show, demonstrate our commitment to the best outcome possible for our beautiful surroundings.”
Under Stage 2 restrictions, several things are prohibited: Open burning of any kind; use and sale of fireworks; use of charcoal grills and fires in chimineas, portable fireplaces or patio fire pits; and campfires at developed campgrounds or picnic areas.
Cooking on gas stoves or grills is still allowed.
Visit CRgov.com/firebans for a full list of prohibitions.
Castle Rock will take a zero-tolerance approach to violations of the restrictions — particularly on July 4 — and police and fire officials will cite anyone found to be in violation, according to a news release. Those found guilty of violating the restrictions can be fined up to $1,000 and/or jailed for up to 180 days.