Pets’ oral health care can be easily neglected, but it’s vital for their overall health. February is National Pet Dental Health Month, and it’s time to take charge of your pet’s oral hygiene.
Your furry friend’s bad breath may be a signifier for serious health problems. Build-up of plaque and tartar can cause diseases that lead to tooth decay and damaged gums. The bacteria can eventually travel to the bloodstream causing damage to vital organs. Routine dental care may not only prevent diseases that affect the mouth, but it may also prevent serious health problems such as heart, lung and kidney disease.
Regular exams by your veterinarian are the first step in maintaining your pets’ oral health, but there are some easy things you can do at home as well which can help prevent expensive veterinarian dental cleanings. Brushing is key, but treats and toys can also help clean dogs and cats teeth. A few products we recommend are:
- Greenies Dental Treats for Cats and Dogs – The bristles, grooves and chewy texture scrape away plaque and allow for effective cleaning.
- Z-Bones Dental Treats – These potato-based dental treats, made by Colorado-based Zuke’s, polish dogs’ teeth and freshen breath.
- Mammoth Flossy Chews – The fibers on this rope toy floss dogs’ teeth as they chew and play.
- Pet Stages Plaque Away Pretzel – Catnip draws cats in to play, and the special netting on the toy flosses teeth and removes soft tartar.
*Always be sure to monitor your pets when using the above toys and treats
In addition to toys and treats, pet owners should incorporate brushing into their daily routine. A few key products that make oral care easy are:
- Petrodex Finger Toothbrushes – Gently massage your pet’s teeth and gums using this finger brush to remove plaque and food debris.
- PetrodexDog Dental Kit – A toothbrush, finger brush, and all-natural toothpaste are included in this kit for ultimate cleaning.
- Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste – The benefit of enzymatic toothpaste for dogs is that it is safe enough to not be rinsed, and can be swallowed. It can also help prevent plaque and tartar build-up.
For more dental care products and tips, visit your local Chuck & Don’s Pet Food Outlet. Locations can be found at www.chuckanddons.com.