These slot machines were used as fundraisers by Elks members until they were seized during a gambling crackdown by the state in the 1970s. They were emptied and the money was given to local charities before being put into evidence lock-up in Denver. When the Elks finally got them back, 1991, the machines were full of money, evidently some state employees were enjoying them.
As befits its name, the Elks #316 building in Cripple Creek has numerous elk mounts, most were hunted locally. This one in the foyer is the oldest, dating from the late 1890s before the Elks bought the old Gold Mining Stock Exchange building in 1910. After 103 years of ownership, the Elks building is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings. Here people are taking a tour of the building during the festivities celebrating its new designation.